Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Birthday to My Precious Navi Baby!!

1 YEAR!?!?

I can't believe it's already been 1 year! These past couple days have been a roller coaster of emotions for me because I haven't been able to decide if I'm happy or sad that Navi is 1. For the most part, I'm happy. She has been the happiest smiley baby and is now growing into the happiest, smiley, BUSY toddler. However, there is a part of me that is so sad to think her "baby" days are disappearing.

One year and one day ago I was also experiencing a roller coaster of emotions as I arrived at the hospital to be induced. I was irritated that I wasn't going into labor on my own, but I was thrilled to think in just a few hours I would be able to meet the little girl that had been growing inside of me. I felt anxious knowing I had to go through the labor process, but I was also so happy to know I didn't have to be pregnant much longer! I was scared to think I would soon be a parent but thankful I would be experiencing the responsibility with Nate. Arguably too MANY emotions for a 9 month + pregnant women to be dealing with.

Besides the time spent waiting for me to dialate, the labor process seemed quick and not as bad as I had built it up in my mind. Of course, that was probably due to the fact that I had taken complete advantage of my pain medicine button and wasn't hesitant to push it when I felt I might be "feeling" anything. The nurse said it all when she came in to help me sit up to push and she exclaimed, "WHOA! You're REALLY numb aren't you!?!" (as you can imagine, this only irritated me just a LITTLE, because I had specific intructions from the anesthesiologist who had said I could push it every hour (half hour maybe? I can't remember) and that the machine wouldn't let me overdose. So in mind my, I was thinking, "Well, I don't want to feel any more than I have to, so I'm going to use it all I can!" Because I was "so numb" they were going to make me wait awhile for some of the numbness to wear off, but when the Dr. came in, I didn't hesitate to push and he said we were good to go! Who would have guessed, that 20 minutes and a few pushes later, would bring me the greatest blessing I've ever recieved? (well, besides Nate of course)

On April 14, 2009 at 2:08 PM I was introduced to my beautiful, precious, heaven-sent baby: Navi Sandra. I remember looking at Nate thinking, "We did this??" She was pink and squished, but she was perfect. Right off the bat, we noticed she had one of Nate's ears and kind of big feet. She was a piece of our life puzzle that we didn't even know was missing.

Before I had Navi, and people would tell me that having a baby was a very spiritual experience, I would internally roll my eyes and think, "Yes, I'm sure all the pain and blood makes it wonderfully spiritual." But after going through the process myself, I'm not ashamed to say I was wrong. I know everyone's experiences are different, but for me, it was spiritual. Spiritual in the sense that I KNEW, without a doubt, that Navi was brought to me especially by my mom. Friends even later joked that the reason Navi was more than a week overdue was because my mom wasn't done playing with her yet. I don't doubt that at all.

On a very personal note, I would like to share my feelings about my mom bringing her to me. I want my thoughts typed out so that someday, Navi will be able to read them.

As I knelt by my mom's bedside the day she died, along with my siblings, Dad, Nate, and other close family members, I witnessed her "talking" to other people in the room. (and I say "talking" because at that point, she wasn't very coherant due to the medicine that kept her pain away) We're positive those people were her Dad and other family members that had passed on before her. I cannot tell you how sure I am that they were there to meet her and take her to the other side. They were her personal escorts.

As an endowed member of the church, I now have a greater appreciation for the signifigance of escorts and their role in the temple. I also have a testimony of their signifigance in other parts of our lives as well. Specifically birth and death. Just as I know my mom had escorts to meet her, I know without a doubt, that my Navi baby had a very SPECIAL escort who brought her to me. I felt her presence there with me in the hospital delivery room...even with all the pain and blood.

It was a day I will never forget for many reasons. I can't believe that day was exactly a year ago and I'm so grateful for Navi and the happiness she has brought me and Nate.




My Precious Navi Baby,

I love you more than I will ever be able to explain. I love your contagious smile and your playful giggle. I love when I come to get you after a night's sleep or an afternoon nap, and you give me the biggest hugs. (sometimes you're probably just holding me tight, afraid that I'm going to lay you back down, but other times I'm sure you're hugging me!) I love that you love your family. You are so excited to see your Grandpas and Grandma and you love any time spent with your aunts. (you're getting better around your uncles too) You especially love your cousins and they all love you too. Most of all, I love the bond you have with your Daddy. He loves you just as much as I do and I'm pretty sure his world revolves around you.

You are very smart and are just beginning to show us your happy personality. You love babies and carry around your favorite baby while you play. I love that you give her kisses and I love it even more when you give me and Daddy kisses. (we know that someday your kisses won't be given so voluntarily, so we're taking as many as we can right now) You love music and you never hesitate to dance. I'm positive that's a quality you got from your Dad. I love the times when I realize you have qualities like your Dad, because I love him so much too!

You are the greatest blessing to our family. I thank Heavenly Father daily that he blessed me with the oppurtunity to be your mom.

I love you more than you know!

Love, Mom



To see a few of her other 1 year pictures go HERE. (now I just have to finish picking out the rest!) Thanks again Nicole!!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laci,

You are a very loving mom and wife. You always put others needs before your own. I love you so much, and I don't know what I would do without you! You have blessed my life more than you could ever imagine, and I know you will continually bring me and Navi our happiest moments. Your the best, and I'm so grateful for you. I don't tell you enough, especially publicly.

Love,

Your baby's daddy

The Smiths said...

Maybe it is the pregnant hormones or maybe not, but your post totally made me cry. I can't wait to experience all of your same joy with our own little girl soon. Thanks for sharing your testimony about your mom. It was really sweet and I love your blog and I love you and Nate and Navi. You guys are all great and we are blessed that you are in our lives! Happy one year birthday Navi!!!

Ash said...

She's so cute!! She looks so big:( So the picture of her that looks like she's saying cheese and feels awkward... So cute. She looks like Ayda to me!


Look at that cute comment from Nate too.

Kimi said...

Well said Lace. As always. Navi is such a doll and I can't wait to see her in a few weeks. The last time I saw her she was a little baby! Sad! Oh and ps. I know you have called me like 5 times and I have yet to return the phone call, but don't worry... I WILL. Today. Hopefully you're still alive. ;)

Misty said...

Happy Birthday, Navi! Laci, you are amazing!!

Kathleen said...

happy birthday to your beautiful little girl! she really is gorgeous, and i don't say that to many people because i think my baby is so gorgeous!

i really loved the thoughts on your mother and escorts and appreciate your testimony. i don't know the kind of pain of losing a parent but your focus on the spiritual aspect and affirmation of the gospel is really touching. i got tingles reading it! i can tell your mom is very special and i am sure she is up there playing with all your little babies telling them what a great family they are coming to!

-Kathleen

John and Anna said...

Oh my Laci! I'm completed touched by your sweet sweet post! Navi is such a little babe and you two really are amazing parents! And also, I'm glad you wrote your testimony down to share with a few of us. It sure has strengthened mine and made me think of a lot of things surrounding Cache's birth. He's almost a year as well and we have been and will be doing a lot of reflecting as well. Gosh, time flies! You guys are awesome!

Dave and Alisha said...

This is soooooo cute!! I love your letter and your memories of that day:) but I dont like that everytime I get on your blog lately I cry!! and now nate is adding to it. oh your just so cute it makes me sick!;) Cant wait to see you this weekend (finally)

Dani Christensen said...

Laci -Thank you for sharing such a personal experience! I'm in tears just thinking about how special it will be when my little baby is born because I have a feeling my dad will be there to bring my little Tim to me like your mom was with Navi! It's those tender moments that help us remember how close our loved ones are and how involved they still are in our lives! Thanks again for sharing. You've given me something great to look forward to in the next few weeks because I am very nervous about labor and delivery!

Sharli said...

I agree with all the emotions of celebrating your first baby's (or babies') first birthday. Thanks for writing such a sweet post. You are an amazing girl and I look up to you more than you know. Happy B-day Navi!

Andy and Mallory: said...

Happy B-day Navi! I cannot believe how grown up she is. Thank you for your sweet testimony. We really need to hang out sometime.

Becki and Gibb and Sammi said...

Okay, so maybe you should forget the whole going into education and become an author (i think you are going into education :) )! That was so perfectly said. Like everyone else, I had tears in my eyes reading your post. I can't believe she is a year and I can't believe that Samantha will be a year in less than 2 months. Having a baby and then watching them grow is so crazy and full of emotions. Navi is just darling!

Keslers said...

Laci, your thoughts were amazing and had me in tears also. Navi is so beautiful and she has one awesome mom.

Nicole Leavitt said...

What a sweet post! Made me tear up! How special to know that your mom was there to bring Navi to you! Love it! She is such a precious little dear!

Chase and Nahomi said...

Laci your post made me cry! You have such a sweet spirit. thanks for sharing it. happy birthday Navi!

Traci said...

Oh Lace, what a lucky little girl Navi is to have you for her mom :) She sure is turning into such a beautiful girl! What you wrote sure touched me, and I too was tearing up.... Glad we've become such good friends these past few years that we can share our many ups and few downs with each other.
You guys are very missed!

Diesta said...

Im sure your mom picked Navi out special just for you .....and of course she had to pick the baby with the best cheeks in the world.....I cant believe its been 4 years since she has passed but with all bad comes some good now Navi will have her own personal guardian angel watching over her.

Cade + Tosha said...

navi is so adorable! I can't believe she is a year old already! she's growing up so fast! your post was so very well put. i love your cute little fam! p.s you were missed on saturday!

crystal said...

Oh my gosh...welcome to the emotional rollercoaster of motherhood.

I was JUST talking about this very same thing today with a friend--how we feel like being a mom is so hard on our emotions.

I love what Diesta said about Sandy watching over Navi. That is so sweet.

xo