Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 4th - East Coast Style

Nate worked until 5 on the 4th of July. I think that is the only day they get a slight break...(?) because they usually go until 9. As part of the festivities, his company is awesome and pays for a huge BBQ dinner. It's a BYODC event (bring your own Diet Coke) , which to me, is basically any event.After dinner we went down to the beach with 95% of the population of Virginia (the other 5% was packed into a park a few blocks from our apartment). Then parked 10 blocks away from the action, walked behind slow people for 10 minutes just in time to catch the firework show, and walked the 10 blocks back with the same slow people who were ironically then in a hurry, all after a max 20 minutes of fireworks. I'm used to Romney Stadium's 45 minute celebration duration, so I was completely NOT ready to leave after the so-called grand finale.

I know I probably sound a bit pessimistic/sarcastic, but Virginia Beach really did put on a good show and it was a fun night. The fireworks were set off on boats out in the ocean and therefore reflected in the water when they exploded, so it was like a double dose.
(If you're like my sister, you notice my shirt changed colors. Just think clumsy, BBQ, ketchup, and white shirt...but Nate is very festive)
(This doesn't do the water reflection justice, but I tried)

We missed our families and their parties (and Nate's dad's birthday, Happy Birthday Darrell!), but we also realize this is such a great opportunity for us. It's a time of our lives that we'll never be able to duplicate. The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays because it's not focused around spending money or other such things, but just a time for everyone to celebrate our country. Happy 4th!

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

i am the worst OA ever. we totally talked about getting diet coke and we didn't. laci can we hang out so you can give me some fashion and beauty tips? i am sorry the east coast had lame fireworks. sadly this is all i really know for the fourth of july. i know i am living in my own ignorance and maybe one day i will see the beauty of a real fourth of july celebration!!

Hayley said...

Seriously, you look so cute in these pics. I'm a little jealous. And the 4th is rapidly becomming a favorite of mine too. Nothing like a cheap Holiday that still makes my kids totally happy.

Kimi said...

You suck! I want to be tan like you, lay out at the pool all day like you, and buy new clothes like you. Instead I have to work all day. :( Where did you get your shirts if you don't mind me asking. They are very cute. Well I'm glad you had an enjoyable fourth. Thank heavens Nate was able to get off early, that would have been crappy if he didn't. What day do you get here next week? I think I will be in town next weekend. Call me and we'll chat! Bye!

The Buttars Family said...

That must of been so cool to watch the fireworks on the ocean. I'm glad you guys had fun and Nate got a little break. We sure missed you guys over the holiday. We asked Bran again this weekend were you guys were, and he is convinced you are at the store buying money for us!!! Sorry we will miss you this week, Laci, but have a safe trip and have fun with your fam and we'll see you in August.

Chase and Nahomi said...

Hey cute pics! Hope everything is going good for you guys and by the looks of it it looks like they are! Your blog is super cute i'm always stealing stuff of it..hope you don't mind!

Lauren said...

Looks like the BBQ was fun, wish I could've been there! Good luck this week... give me a call if you've got any fun, girly activities planned to fill the time!

Ash said...

Looks like you had fun. I want to go to the ocean! Ocean and fireworks... sounds good to me!
We missed you guys too. You're almost done... half way? At least you get to come home for a little vacation away from vacation.
We'll see you in a few!

Bre said...

Looks like a lot of fun, I would love to see it over the ocean! Or just go to the ocean for any reason really! You look beautiful as ever as well!

Brad and Jenna said...

Hey! I just decided to peek in here as well! Looks like you guys are having tons of fun! How nice to get away for a little while. You can take a look at our blog anytime! :)

Andy and Mallory: said...

Hey, hope you guys are doing well. Cute pics! Check out our new blog @ aandmbeginnings. See ya later!

Diesta said...

Looks like you guys had fun !!! It was great seeing you at camp, I cant believe you flew all the way home to come now that is some wallentine family dedication !!! I will be out of town for Cades mission farewell so i may not get to see you guys. But i will keep blogging.