Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Jane Filled June

One of my friends, Dani, brought her copy of Pride and Prejudice to Virginia. I know P&P is a classic, but I found it to be slight coincidence because I had a pile of 4 or 5 books I had intentions of bringing and P&P was one of the lucky few...that is until I forgot them all. Once I heard she had her copy I asked to borrow it. Since that moment we've immersed ourselves in what could be described as "A Jane filled June"--Jane Austen that is.

Our first trip to Blockbuster resulted in a quick concurrence of Becoming Jane. Yes, it has been out for quite some time, but neither of us had seen it. Long story short--we both loved it. I loved it so much in fact, I took it home and nicely forced Nate to watch with me again...the same night.A few days later Dani and I were spotted leaving Barnes and Noble with every Jane Austen book available from the $5 classic collection shelf. Obsessed? Just a little.

The Jane-maina has also resulted in two $5 movie purchases of P&P (the new version with Keira Knightley) and Sense and Sensibility. Turns out Wal-Mart is good for something.
Yesterday, after many hours locked down in my dark apartment, Dani and I finished the A&E 6/7 hour P&P miniseries. And yes, I'm reading the book.

Some might be concerned of a Mr. Darcy overload. On the contrary however. The hours and hours of Janeisms eek out of me in more discreet manners. I just catch myself before I ask Nate, "Pray tell me what be most agreeable for dinner, sir?" :)

Or then of course, I just blog about it.

8 comments:

Hayley said...

Oh I love me some Jane! I loved the A&E version of P&P and could watch it daily-and I loved.loved.loved. becomming Jane. It is one of my fav's. I'll admit I am a bit jealous of your June.

Kysha said...

I am laughing because you are a woman after my own heart. So obsessed with Darcy, in fact, that Casey once labeled a Christmas gift, To: Kysha From: Mr. Darcy. Have you read Shannon Hale's "Austenland?" It's a fun read and good to read after you've read all of the Austen classics.

Lauri said...

Laci, I am so glad that you found a book to read. I remember from previous blogs of mine that you aren't such a reader. I do have to admit that I have made fun of Julie since the day I found out that she loved softly falling snow movies. I made fun of her until last Thanksgiving. I was so bored that she left me with her copy of Pride and Prejudice and I watched it over and over again. I did't dare tell her that I LOVED IT because then I couldn't make fun of her. So, I know how you feel about Mr. Darcy. I LOVED IT!

Kathleen said...

i have a secret. i am the only girl in the world who doesn't like jane austin! it is a terrible trait for which my family has shunned me. in truth i have only read emma in high school for an emma/clueless project and it was torture for me. isn't that humiliating??? i do however enjoy the mormon version of pride and prejudice so maybe i could give jane austin a second chance. tell the truth, do you hate me a little for this confession??

Ash said...

I've never ever read a Jane Austen book. When I saw the title of your post I thought of Hayley. She went through a Jane period.
I guess I'll have to read one and see if I agree with the 2 of you.

The Buttars Family said...

Sorry, I know nothing about Jane Austen...but how about, So You Think You Can Dance!!! I was still editing my post when you made your comment, so I decided not to edit it since I already had a reader! I know, wasn't that dance AWESOME!!! I wish I was a cool hip hop dancer too ... well I kind of am, in my own mind that is, when I'm dancing with Bran and have the music up way too loud...I totally break out the hip hop moves...I just would never let anyone film it, EVER! I love how 2 year olds still think their moms are cool and good dancers! I'll miss when Bran grows and and realizes I'm just a big dork with no rhythm!
By the way, when we were up in Logan last weekend, Bran always uses Nate's baby blanket. Well, I said Bran isn't that a cool Teddy Bear blanket and he said "It's Nate's baby blanket, He shares it with me." So, I asked him where you guys were, and he said, "They at the store buying money for us."
So cool, I hope to see that money soon!!!!

Misty said...

Laci,

You have inspired me to have a Jane-filled July! I've watched the A&E version of P&P twice this week and S&S twice as well!!

(I need to hear adult conversations after watching Baby Einstein dvds!)

Peggy said...

Laci, I just a month ago was cruzin thr cal ranch and saw this Jane movie and grabbed it to watch!! not jokin, CAL RANCH! and now I read your blog story here. now i must watch!