Saturday, April 30, 2011

Will + Kate : A Modern Fairytale

Did anyone else get as caught up in the Royal Wedding as I did? I didn't really think I cared about it until the day before when I decided, on a whim, to record the wedding (which took place at 2 AM my time) just for curiosity's sake. The next morning, as I sat watching with my bowl of Fruit Loops, it didn't take long before I was hooked! Navi recklessly roamed the house and did pretty much whatever she wanted for the 3 hours I was transfixed in front of my TV. I had promised Nate I would wash the sink full of dirty dishes before he came home from work, but as I sat drooling (possibly even Fruit Loop-tainted milk) over the women guests and their whimsical hats, over the magical London setting, and over the historical Westminster Abbey, the dishes quickly slipped my mind.

I guess I just got wrapped up in the idea that Kate, or as she is now known, Her Royal Highness Catherine, grew up a "commoner" and after a "simple" wedding, she will be the Queen of England someday. I couldn't help but think that thirty years ago, when Prince Charles and Princess Dianna were married, my Dad (who happened to be serving his mission in England at the time) was right around my age. Perhaps in another thirty years, I will be watching the wedding of one of William and Kate's children with my daughters.

Weeks ago, when I heard Americans were making the trek to London just for the occasion, I questioned their sanity. Now I wish I could have been there, standing the middle of all the thousands of people, cheering right along side them! I think I would have been screaming and yelling too when the newly named Duke and Duchess of Cambridge drove by on their way to their first kiss as a married couple at Buckingham Palace.

And let's not forget the dress. The dress that will forever be a part of history. Sigh...

To put it simply,

I didn't know I was such a hopeless romantic.



P.S. I LOVE the little bridesmaid on the left. I love that it will be such a funny part of history as well.

Also, if running your mouse over the above picture shows the saved title, you will notice that it is named "best-photo-ever-will-kate-kiss". I did not come up with this, I simply downloaded it.

However,  I agree.
So I left it.

Cheers to Will and Kate!

4 comments:

Dani Christensen said...

I went to Rock Springs, WY just to watch it with my fam...haha Guess we're both hopeless romantics!

Dave and Alisha said...

hahaha I wanted to record it but once I heard how Dave felt about "all the crap about a wedding and how we have real stuff to worry about" I thought I better not. but I watch the highlights and loved it.

Nicole Leavitt said...

Can i just say ditto to everything you posted? I may have even gotten a little obsessed with watching all the different highlights and recaps on all the different channels. I honestly didnt care about it either til the night before, and i decided to record it. I loved it all!

Traci said...

I told myself if for some reason I woke up in the middle of the night to watch it, but it never happened.
I didn't even get around to watching the news till that night, and Sawyer was that it lasted for nearly 2 hours! Ha, kind of fun though, you would fit well back there :)