Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Tag and a Truth

Usually I'm somewhat reluctant to complete a tag. Probably due to the fact that I feel a rush of anxiety when the time comes to tag some of my friends. (HUH? You ask...)

Let me explain:
Once upon a time...in high school my friends and I would have some crazy sleepovers. We'd do the usual girl things. Toilet paper, sneak out, take goofy (great for blackmailing) pictures, make sugary foods at midnight (one of our specialties included cheesecake made with Sprite...naturally what you might use if you ran out of milk...?)

And then there were some not so usual nights.

It seemed like maybe twice a year we'd gather up after making it home by midnight, and for reasons unknown, we would nominate a friend, then everyone would take turns saying something that that FRIEND did that might bother them. (back-stabbed, didn't return calls, flirted too much, haha KIM.)

Yeah, we were a really close group of friends. Or maybe just a group of really mean friends...? (this is why teenage girls are always fighting I guess) Well, until just recently, I found out we weren't the only group of friends who did this. (So there is at least one other crazy group out there somewhere)

Anyways...in case you're still confused, I'll give you an example. When it was my turn for my friends to turn on me (I would brace myself for the worst) and 99.9% of the time they would tell me their biggest pet peeve about me was that I cared way too much about what others thought. Not necessarily that I cared too much about what others thought OF me, just that I care too much about what others were thinking.

Basically, I stress myself out for trivial reasons.

To this day, when I go to a store and I'm walking next to someone, say Nate, and we're walking towards another couple, I immediately see that there is not going to be enough room for the two couples to pass each other in the isle, so I will go out of my way to move in front of or behind Nate, to make sure the other people will have room to get by.

This may not sound like such a bad thing...to be thoughtful of others. The problem comes when I'm doing this for "every one and their dog". In the grocery isles, for the people coming out of the doors, for the people going into the doors, for the mom with 5 kids, etc. etc. etc. It can be quite overwhelming. And let's just say my friends and Nate, get sick of me always worrying.

The worst part is, and it hasn't been until recently, that I realize A LOT of other people rarely show the same kind of respect in return, if at all. That in turn tends to bother me that they are so unthoughtful, and you can see where the anxiety sets in. Silly? Crazy? O.C.D ish? Yes. But I can't help it.

So what does ALL this have to do with a measly Tag???

Well, I can answer the tag easily. But when it comes time to "tag" friends, the caring too much about others part sets in. If I feel like someone would be upset, angered, and mainly inconvenienced that I tagged them, I worry. Believe me, I realize how silly and downright crazy this all sounds. But some of you might have your own outlandish little ticks. Whether it is sanitizing your hands at the grocery store, color coordinating your clothes in your closet, or alphabetizing your cookbooks...this is my weakness.

However, due to extreme blog boring-ness, I will get over my psycho personality trait and complete the tag. And to avoid the anxiety, I won't be tagging anyone! HA.

Maybe divulging too much information when it's extremely unnecessary is something my friends forgot to tell me at the sleepovers...

On to the real reason of the post:

8 Shows I Watch:

1. Survivor!!

2. The Amazing Race

3. The Unit - a recent find Nate and I love

4. Friends (all 10 seasons on DVD will most likely be included in my emergency preparedness kit)

5. The Hills - everyone needs a guilty pleasure

6. Law and Order - SVU is my favorite but Criminal Intent is also great

7. Without a Trace - what can I say, I've been liking the police shows lately

8. Most anything HGTV but House Hunters is probably my favorite



8 Restaurants I Love:

1. Olive Garden

2. Costa Vida

3. Wingers

4. Callaway's

5. Chili's

6. Cheesecake Factory - a Virginia find

7. Panera - another Virgina find that is unfortunately too cool for Utah... sandwiches on yummy bread and extremely over-priced frozen lemonade, but I loved it.

8. Firehouse


8 Things I Did Yesterday:

1. Slept in way too late

2. Went to work

3. Tried not to loose my patience at work...Is a short temper a pregnancy thing? I'm just going to say it is.

4. Wandered around stores cause Nate has been living at the library due to finals.

5. Talked to Kimi on the phone while I wandered

6. Bought Baby Buttars some cute new pants for the 6 month stage

7. Watched Law and Order for I won't say how long (it was a marathon)

8. Blog stalked

Don't judge me on how unproductive I was. Not everyday is like that... :)



8 Things I Look Forward to:

1. April 6th, 2009!!

2. Learning how to be a mom

3. Watching Nate be a dad

4. Christmas! Duh.

5. Nate graduating in April

6. Going to Disneyland with the Buttars clan in January - even though I might be pouting a fair amount of time because I won't be able to go on all of my favorite rides.

7. Cade getting home...hahaha I know.

8. Living somewhere for more than 6 months



8 Wishes:

1. That I will indeed be able to live somewhere for more than 6 months

2. That Nate will get a good job in this scary economy!

3. That I will be a good mom

4. That our baby girl we be healthy

5. That I could magically loose my baby weight instantly when I'm done being prego

6. That my family was how "it used to be"

7. That I was in Hawaii right now...instead of my sister

8. That I didn't have to work tomorrow!!

And obviously I won't be tagging anyone. Hahaha!

9 comments:

Kimi said...

Okay so first off... I am envious of your writing skills. You say everything I am thinking only I somehow can't put it on to paper the way you do. You are a talented writer and a funny one at that. But I know I've told you all that before... so on to the more important stuff. I laughed alot at this post because everything you said is SOO true, you described it all so perfectly. The things you worry about crack me up! I can't imagine thinking that way... I am certainly one of those people you become annoyed with due to lack of "thoughtfulness." That is probably one of the many things you guys told me back in our ruthless high school days. Or maybe it was the way you'd tell me to drive on the RIGHT side of the road so that those to my left can pass me and don't become annoyed. Or how you would hate if I asked for extra things in the drive up because I was inconveniencing the Wendy's employee. I have no sympathy for them, I was one myself... well sorta. Anyway, I am glad you are such a thoughtful person... it's a wonder how we are such good friends. :) Well Lace, you were right, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I hope I didn't inconvenience you by tagging you! haha! Love ya! P.S. Those cheese cake and sprite days were oh so fun. :)

Kimi said...

Oh and one more thing. They have Panera out here in Pittsburgh and I love it! Jeff and I go there a ton! I don't love soup but I do love their broccoli and cheese soup as well as their tomato basil sandwiches. Mmm! Oh and another, I am glad you and Nate watch The Unit. Jeff and I watch it weekly. Okay I think that's all.

Bobbie said...

Haha. Oh Laci Jae you make me laugh. Like Kimi said, everything you said was so true and you just seem to have a way of writing things on paper. I too miss the "good old days". Wasn't life so much simpler back then? (even if we didn't think it at the time) We should get together before Christmas, its been way to long since I've seen or talked to you (maybe next week when our husbands are living at school taking finals??) How is Baby Buttars doing by the way? Does she have a name yet? It still doesn't seem real to me...probably cause I haven't seen you for so long!

Rozalyn said...

Sorry! I just barely looked at my blog! I will talk to Drew and Leave you his number in a comment.

Emily J. said...

Panera is a definite favorite here in Ohio too. They are only missing the Cafe Rio here. I guess you can't have it all.

Traci said...

Hahahah, Oh Laci! Now I know why you wanted to know the name of that place.... your sure are funny. And I sure hope you realize that it's okay to not care what people think for once!

And speaking of that, you tagged me once, the one with the 4th photo out of your folder.... and just so you know, the reason I haven't done it, is because I don't know what folder it's talking about! The one on my computer? Or the one that's somewhere on my blog? I have no idea, so I just never did it!

I miss Panera, I also miss sleeping in or even sleeping all the way through the night without Sawyer's piercing screams waking me up, so enjoy it, and do it often cause it will never happen again after April. :)

Talk to you in a few days when we finally hang out.... maybe? Who knows with us!

The Smiths said...

Just happens to be one of the reasons why I love you. I wish you would have come over with Nate the other night. It just so happened that I wasn't slaving at my job that night. Anyway, I miss you and I want to see your belly! One of my quirks is pregnant bellies. I love them! I picture you to be SUPER CUTE pregnant. I miss you guys. Lets game soon!

Rozalyn said...

Drew's Phone number 801-499-4523

Diesta said...

TAG !!! no just kidding !! I think O.C.D. ish can be a great characteristic.... some of my favorite things about myself are the things others dont like.... my view ... you take the good with the bad and if you cant deal...then dont come over !!!! hope baby buttars is doing well, AND I really need cade's address I was going to try and send him a christmas card...so could you post his address on his mission blog ??? and christmas is soon so could you O.C.D hop on that !!!! ha ha ha just kidding.